Wicked Nouk Family » Archive -- Locked » Tutorials
 » animated textures
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: animated textures  (Read 7809 times)

January 10, 2008, 11:50:44 PM

Offline adele

• Close Family Friend
  • Make cake not war.
    • adele-sims
animated textures
« on: January 10, 2008, 11:50:44 PM »
How to make super annoying AWESOME animated textures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111one

FIRST: How to make an animation cell texture:

0. Make sure your animation has dimensions simPE won't shoot. (16, 32, 64, etc. are acceptable)

1. Split your animation into its frames. Make sure the number of frames is also simPE friendly (16, 32, 64, etc.) SimPE likes 2 and everything made from doubling it.

2. Create your texture by placing each frame one after the other (in order) in a new image. Leave no space in between the frames; if you're using photoshop, snapping things to a grid can be useful (ctrl+')

You can put them all in one long line, or split it up, but be sure that the dimensions of the image are, yup! simPE friendly! (256, 512, 1024, and so on)

Here's a seizure-inducing example:

This would make an anim that fades from green to teal, and jumps back to green again. Good so far, yes? omGREAT!!!!

SECOND: Making it work for our stuff
0. Import the cell anim texture to your package.

1. Open your TXMT (mat def) in your package.

2. Within the plugin view, click on the properties tab.

If you've ever scrolled to the bottom, you've probably wondered "wots all this then?" And now you know! Animating textures!!!

3. Starting at the stdMatTextureCoordAnimMode entry, this is what the important ones mean:

namedefault valuewhat you should set it to
stdMatTextureCoordAnimModenonetile
stdMatTextureCoordAnimNumTiles1.000000,1.000000cell columns x cell rows (for above image, this would be 4 x 2/ 4.000000,2.000000)
stdMatTextureCoordTileAnimSpeed0.000000frames per second. 10.000000 is a good choice, but you may set whatever speed you wish

THIRD: Nope, you're done!!

Really. That's it. The other options are cryptic, and even modgods still wonder how to use most of them. Rotating is not so hard.... but I doubt anyone's going to need to know that one.

So go forth and make retina-burning, spasm-causing, babyjesus-kicking animated-texture objects!

DISCLAIMER: Freezing, therefore logic is impaired, so if it doesn't work, ............. tell me and I'll double check my blabbing.
- Adele